Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Shooting For The Stars


When I first signed up for AIDS/LifeCycle, I did it without much forethought. Then I got on my old bike for the first time, rode seven miles and began to realize how big this commitment really was. But I kept riding.

Then in early August, our fundraising pages went live and I started sweating again - and not from the 25 mile training rides! How the heck was I going to raise the minimum amount in donations each participant is required to raise? $3,000 is a lot of money - a lot of money that goes to help a lot of people - but still...


Still... I knew how amazing my friends were so I shot for the stars and set my goal at $5K. Lofty, yes. Possible, definitely. Challenging? I was certain it would be; even with nine months to raise funds. I kick-started my donation page with a personal contribution of $250. Y'know, you gotta seed the tip jar. A few days later, on August 11, I received my first contribution from a friend and we were on our way.

Okay... actually, y'all were on your way! And away you went! Yesterday was exactly five weeks from the day that first sponsor signed on and James - my cyclist rep - informed me I was only $830 away from the minimum. Throughout the day, my community continued to show their strength and by 11 p.m. I only had $145 to go to reach minimum. All within five weeks? Amazing!

I recorded this message and posted it on Facebook as a way to let everyone know how grateful I am for their support and how my team of sponsors has joined forces to consistently stay in the Top 20 Fundraising teams. In the video I stutter & stumble & say "um" a lot - then Bodie sticks his bootie in the camera. And you can hear the pups wrestle off-camera. It's a dorky video but it's as real, unscripted, unedited and raw as the love I have for everyone in my life. Thank you.



But folks it doesn't stop there - not at $2,855.

This morning, I woke to find another friend (a serious nightowl!) made a donation late last night and joined this incredible team of sponsors. Then, while writing this entry, I received an email that another contribution had been made. A very generous gift from a beautiful stranger - someone I've never met - a friend of a friend I guess. No note. No return address. Just a completely selfless act of charity.

So at 7:53 a.m. on September 19... five weeks and one day from the start of my fundraising... we reached the minimum! I guess shooting for the stars isn't as challenging as I thought - because I'm surrounded by stars every day.

$3,125

Yeah, YOU DID THAT! ROCKSTARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment