Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just Like Me

The search for interviewees was nationwide.

I've mentioned I have a couple decades of stories to share that all help to explain why I ride. Definitely makes my job as a blogger a little easier since there's plenty of material to pull from. Tonight, in doing some research on the internet for images & videos to add to the blog, I ran across this. Not only have I not seen this in fifteen years, I was shocked there's a version of it online.

This video was produced in 1997 when I was 26. I share it not because of the content but, instead, because of the context. Again, a big part of my focus  for this blog is to not only share my journey leading up to the event next June, but to also share my past and show why this ride is important to me. And what better way to do that than to show you what I did during all those years working in the field of HIV & AIDS.

I want to say something uplifting or positive or funny since the last thing I want is for this journal to become some depressing monologue. But I just finished watching the video and I'm not in a mood to be funny or uplifting. Be forewarned... you may need a tissue so don't watch if that's not the kind of mood you're in right now. Remember, this was a different era and we hadn't yet experienced the miracle of the newest medications and, well, when we talked about this stuff it often came across kinda dark. Trust me... during those years I did plenty of smiling and laughing and loving and adventuring and, obviously from the video, I must have done a lot of brushing my hair back then too... wow, look at that hair!

I also did a lot of sharing. Sharing my story. And that little link down there has a little slice of that story, produced by the University of Connecticut and distributed to high-schools and colleges throughout the nation in an effort to put a face to the epidemic.

Just Like Me: Talking About AIDS

I became very close with everyone in the production, especially those of us who were being interviewed. But I developed a true bond with Deidre and we stayed in close contact after filming was completed. Less than a year later, she lost her battle with AIDS.

My beautiful friend, when I ride next year you'll be with me every single moment.

Miss you, Dee.

J-

(promise, this is the last downer of an entry for awhile! back to funny, uplifting, inspirational and maybe even some just plain boring for a few weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment