Monday, September 24, 2012

In This Day And Age?

Today's blog was going to be dedicated to my Portland trip. But I put that on hold when, thanks to my friend Todd, I read this article in the Advocate. Some stories don't get enough traction and I don't know why it took a month for us to hear about this. But my PDX story can wait because this one needs to be told.

In short, Bienestar, a non-profit group serving the Latino LGBT & HIV-positive community since 1989, had secured a three-year lease in a new office building. They opened the doors of their new offices on August 13. The organization states on August 14, the landlord demanded they immediately vacate the premises and remove all their belongings. Bienestar claims the landlord changed the locks on the building that same day and they have not had access to their property or their clients personal and confidential files since.


That, in itself, is enough to shock you into disbelief. But, the organization has also stated the landlord said his reasoning for the eviction was that the group was "bringing disease" to the building.

Since that day, the non-profit has been providing very limited services out of its mobile unit which they've parked in front of their old office building.

They're working out of a van!

I'm a huge believer in innocent until proven guilty.  We won't discover the truth until the court case (Bienestar has filed a lawsuit against the landlord), but if this story is true - I'm...I'm... I'm speechless. This shit still happens? Even though it's obviously against the law? As Todd said, it's reprehensible.

Wow. Another reminder of how fortunate I am. I mean, I've got a damn mark on my body, declaring my health status to the world. After the amazing support I've received through the years, I didn't think this kind of discrimination still took place. Or maybe I've been surrounded by so much love, that I had forgotten there are still evils like this in the world.If this story is true, it's such a wake-up call and a reminder that we've still got a long way to go.

Y'know, this organization isn't a beneficiary of the ride but, part of the mission of both SFAF & LAGLC is to end stigma and discrimination around HIV & AIDS.

Guess I just discovered another reason I'm riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment