Saturday, June 9, 2012

Jim Blogs?!?!


Short answer... yes. Well, true answer... I used to. Before "blog" was a word and when its root phrase "web log" was hardly known, I kept an "online journal" (that's what we called it last century). Believe it or not, I was one of the first - if you can count a couple hundred thousand people as "the firsts." Today there are close to 200 million blogs so let me keep that "first," okay? For the geeks like me - especially those younger than me - you can read a little on the history of blogs here:
 

Wikipedia History on Blogs

Now, back to this blog...see that header at the top? jimagery. That was me and those are the original graphics that lived on my site. The site was developed by me and designed by my friend Marco (and just like "web log" became "blog" - "Marc" became "Marco" over the years). Those images are authentic and were the section headers and this blog's layout, fonts and colors are comparable to what I used so many years ago. When I looked at those graphics and the primary navigation again after all these years, I realized they're still relevant:

jimagery (me)
vision (my goals/reasoning)
thought (my thoughts/stories)
exchange (reader comments /interaction)
clarity (answers to how/what/where/when/why).

But enough of the reminiscing and WTF... let's bring some vision, thought, exchange & clarity to this blogging thing.

Over the past decade, I'm sure I've had plenty to write about in a journal even if there was no one to read it. But after living my life online during those years and interacting with 150,000 site visitors from more than 80 countries, I was burnt out. But today I made a decision that gave me a topic to discuss in a blog and, even more, reminded me of the reach of the internet. Today I registered to be a cyclist (Participant #1655) in the AIDS/Lifecycle - a seven day, 545 mile ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. While reviewing their 2012 ride site, I kept encountering the question, "Why are you here?" For me, that answer is very long. Then there's the fact that the preparation and training I'll complete over the next year might benefit from some journaling in order to keep my motivation high. Finally, making it personal may help me in reaching the mandatory fundraising requirements.

So this is how it starts again. My idea (vision) is to share my experience and stories (thoughts) through the next year. My hope is to have plenty of interaction (exchange) to help keep me motivated. My goal is to bring (clarity) to the question, "Why are you here?"

Want to join me on the journey again?

No comments:

Post a Comment