Saturday, October 6, 2012

5K - We Did It!

As you all know, when I set out on this journey I started with a fundraising goal of $5,000.

Well, just eight short weeks later we've hit that original goal!

I've lost track of how many sponsors have joined to become a part of this amazing team. I could go back and count but it's not the number of sponsors that matter. It's the people behind the contributions. Some I've known my entire life. Others came in to share a brief moment with me. Some I saw yesterday. Others not for years. But whatever our relationship, you have all been the wind at my back on these rides.

A couple weeks ago I changed my goal because I knew we'd hit 5K. I also wanted to motivate this team to climb higher and faster than others and come out as some of the leaders in the effort to support the SF AIDS Foundation and the LA Gay & Lesbian Center. Two months in and we're still holding strong at number 10 in the Top Fundraisers for ALC 12! If we continue on this path and reach our final fundraising goal, we should be locked-in somewhere in the Top 25 fundraisers for the event! Even more, we'll be members of the prestigious 10K Club. Last year, this group was responsible for 20% of the total funds raised for the ride. In attaining this level of fundraising, we help to keep the cost of the ride down and ensure the most money possible goes directly to the beneficiaries.

Today, I also picked the raffle winners for the photo book and those prizes went to Marty & Lisa. Marty, a gear sponsor, is also an amazing photographer. I hope he doesn't judge my photos too much! And Lisa, who has the first edition of "A View From Here" on her mantle in her office , now has the complete set, heh!



For the month of October, my incentive for sponsors is to share, share, share! If you see a post on Facebook with a link to my fundraising page - share it! I'll keep track of all shares and, if one of your friends contributes any amount toward the ride, you will be entered into this month's drawing for a book of my favorite recipes. From my Turkey Meatloaf with Cranberry Glaze to my Tarragon Chicken in a White Wine Reduction, both you and your friend who contributed will get the recipes I've been preparing for years. There will be side dishes (Blasted Broccoli - one of my favorites!) and desserts (Oatmeal Raisin Cookies as big as scones). Even a $5 donation from a friend will get you entered into the drawing. Get 20 friends to donate $5 each and you've got 20 entries and a chance at enough recipes to keep you cooking for all of next year!





But before we start thinking about the coming month and all the fundraising we'll be doing, please take a moment to give yourselves a pat on the back. Through your generosity and support of this cause, we've reached the first goal in eight short weeks. With all of our continued efforts, we'll reach the final goal in the eight months we have left for fundraising.

Thank you my friends. Never before has a man been blessed with the best of the best at his side.




And, as a way to share the ride in the way I'll be experiencing it next June, here's a YouTube video from a previous year's ride - ALC10, June 2011:





No comments:

Post a Comment