Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Branching Out

Lots of miles. Lots of hills. Lots of water. Lots of soreness. Lots of learning. Lots of support. Lots of goals. Lots of firsts. Lots of progress. Lots of inspiration.

I've definitely experienced a lot during these past couple months of training. Each of these experiences has prepared me for the big event. And much of this preparation has been with the help of my friends and community... fundraising, gear acquisition, support, inspiration and cycling knowledge.

But my training rides have always been solo.


It's time to change that and branch out into a community of cyclists.

I actually love going solo on my training rides. They're very peaceful experiences with amazing scenery and allow me some time in my own head. No work. No fundraising. No dog parenting. No distractions. At the end of a ride, I generally feel very centered and balanced which is something we can all use once in awhile. In many ways, I feel I could continue riding by myself until the event begins.

However, next June I'm going to be riding with over 2,000 participants. That's got to be a logistical challenge for the event planners and roadies. Riders have a challenge to meet as well... it means learning the rules of sharing the road. Yes, I've been reading quite a bit about group riding... things like bar-to-bar, pacelines, peeling off, pulling through and use of hand signals for pointing out obstacles, hazards & maneuvering. In my head, I can picture myself doing all of these things with precision. In reality, will I do them when I'm heading into my third hour, my fortieth mile, and fighting off a bit of road hypnosis? Probably not. Unless I have real-life experience and, like everything else we try to master, I practice, practice, practice.

From the beginning, I've told myself that once I felt comfortable on my bike I'd start learning to ride in groups. Well, if I'm completing 40-mile rides it's pretty obvious that I've found my place in the saddle. So a few weeks ago when I met a fellow cyclist during one of my rest stops, he pointed me to a website for Las Vegas cycling enthusiasts. That afternoon, I signed up as a member but I haven't yet joined them on a ride. Anxiety about learning something new? Or being judged? Or missing my solo rides? Probably all of the above. This weekend, that changes.

In a way, this also means taking a step back in some my training. To learn group riding, I really should start with the beginners. The rides will be shorter and the pace slower. But, if I'm going to do this properly, I'm going to start where everyone does... at the beginning. On Sunday, I'll be joining the Biking Las Vegas group for a beginner's ride. The route will be much flatter than I'm used to, the pace will be 4-6 mph slower than I'm currently achieving, and the distance will be the shortest I do these day. But I know I'll be getting so much out of it! The ride leader will be giving a tutorial on riding safely in a group and helping with tips on shifting and gearing. And after the event, I'll walk away having my first experience riding with others!

The following weekend I've signed up for another group ride... with a twist. The BLV group is hosting it's 4th Annual Halloween Ride! Since I'll have a little experience riding with others, I've decided to join this event which includes riding in costumes! It's like the school-day Halloween parades except we'll be on road bikes... woohoo! In addition to getting more experience in group riding, I'll also be taking my first step in preparing for the Red Dress Day during the AIDS/LifeCycle event!



Finally, I also think I may join another group event in the coming weeks. This one is an organized fundraiser called the Honor Ride for the Ride2Recovery and benefits combat veterans who have sustained injuries while serving and protecting our country. There are a few levels of participation including an 18-mile ride for beginners, a 35-mile route for weekend warriors, and an 80-mile ride for the real experts. I'm still on the fence for this one since it's a benefit event and I can't take any focus away from my ALC fundraising efforts. However, there is no minimum for raising funds and my registration fees will benefit a cause I support. So I might just do it... feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments section about whether or not it would be a good idea.



Gaining experience in riding with groups doesn't mean my solo rides will be ending. Quite the opposite I think. Most likely, I'll ride by myself just as often and the group training events will add to my training schedule. Plus, I'll still be planning rides with my cyclist friends like Brian, Kristen, Jason & Lacy. Wow... I've got a lot of pedaling to do in the coming months!

There may be one other benefit in branching out with these group rides. My friends, family and colleagues have shown incredible support for my ride and that support has achieved amazing progress in fundraising. But contributions have slowed down over the past couple weeks because so many have already become sponsors. I am working on getting creative with my fundraising events but, by participating in these group training rides, I'll meet many others and my community will grow. And maybe along the way I'll meet some who believe in the reasons I'm participating in the AIDS/LifeCycle event and they'll support the cause. Or maybe I'll even find a local cyclist who'll join me on the ride! In the end, I know I'll make a few new friends and that's the best part of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment