Monday, July 16, 2012

Gearing Up - Part III (With A Little Help From My Friends)

Those who have been following me on my ALC journey know that I went into this with almost nothing... no experience, no cycling gear, no idea where to start. What I did start with was a whole lot of determination. That and an old mountain bike.

One month ago today, I walked into a bike shop for the first time and started a conversation with the pros. Purchased my first cycling outfit. And pulled my bike off its hook in the garage. The following day I went on my first ride... and completed 7.6 miles. Thirty days later, I've gone on seven rides totaling 140 miles. I've acquired more gear - shoes, pedals, tires & tools. I've learned how to ride in clipless pedals without falling over (not even once!). And I've added a passion for cycling to my determination.

Y'know, as I learn more about the ride and read blogs from last year's riders, I realize more and more that I can do this. It's an organized event with tons of support. People of all ages, from all backgrounds, and many different fitness levels successfully complete the ride. The ride is SAG'd (stands for Support and Gear). We're provided tents, meals, manned rest areas and vans to carry our personal camping gear and clothing. A SAG'd ride also provides assistance during emergencies and picks up riders who have fallen too far behind and transports them to that day's campsite. So yeah, I can do this... if I can't make it one day, a van will drive me to the end of that day's route. But my goal is to actually ride each and every mile on that 545-mile route. I will not "get SAG'd."

So it's apparent I won't be doing this alone. It's a community effort. A team of Roadies
 will ensure all riders are safe and provided for. We reach our fundraising goals through the support of the greater community... our sponsors... you. All we have to do is train, gear up, and ride.

This week I also found there's another unsung hero in this community that will help us riders achieve our goals. Gear sponsors. Recently, a few friends asked if they could help by supplying some of the gear for my ride. As difficult as it is for me to ask for assistance, I've realized as I've gotten older that we all get support and assistance throughout our lives in many, many ways. After some internal wrestling, I allowed myself to accept their offer and sent them to my "Wish List" on Amazon. The support was definitely welcome and having a friend spend $15 on a pedal wrench or $50 on cycling shorts would ease the personal financial commitment I've made to the ride. I had to keep in mind that I started with pretty much nothing and the packing list for the ride includes these items and more:


General Packing List
Sleeping Bag (mandatory) - 
Sleeping pad or air mattress (sleeping surfaces are hard) - Ear plugs (highly recommended) - Small camping pillow - Plastic tarps or painter sheets (rain protection; place underneath your tent/over your tent) - Flashlight or headlamp - Alarm clock (non electric) - Clothespins or binder clips (to dry wet clothes or to hold your tarp to your tent) - Cold-water detergent (to wash clothes) - Solar Charger for electronics (event does not supply electricity for charging equipment)



Cyclist Specific Gear
Helmet (mandatory) - Bike (mandatory) - Jerseys (2-3) - Bike shorts (2-3 pair) - Cycling Socks - Knee and arm warmers - Tights or leg warmers - Cycling gloves - Sunglasses (cycling-specific) - Windbreaker or Windvest - Rain jacket/pants - Shoe or toe covers - Bike Shoes - Pump (required) - Patch kit, tire irons (required) - Water bottles/Hydration Pack (required) - Spare tubes - Seat bag - Bike tools - Bike computer - Spare cleats - Spare bike tires - Shower cap (cover your bike seat at night)

Experienced cyclists had also told me that much of the clothing I purchase today will be worn out by the time I ride next year. So instead of 2-3 pairs of shorts, I'll need 5 or 6. Same for jerseys. Socks. You get the picture.

I found when buying shoes and pedals that Amazon was the way to go when it came to cost. So I created an Amazon Wish List to help me keep track of the things I needed to purchase over the next ten months. Little did I know that it would allow others to help sponsor my ride. The packages began arriving this week. Lots of packages. Oh wow... I mean, it's almost enough to bring tears to your eyes.

Some of the gear my "sponsors" have supplied.


Words can't express the gratitude I'm feeling for shows of support like this. While I'm spending those seven days on the ride, I will not only be with 2,000 Riders and 1,000 Roadies - I'll be with each of you every day. I now realize, I'm not only riding to help those living with or affected by HIV/AIDS.... I'll be riding to say, "Thank you for believing in me." 

(You can check out my Wish List here)

No comments:

Post a Comment