Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Self Care

For a few months now, I've been meaning to write a "Monday Moment" post on this topic. One of the many things I realized after my gig as a homeless guy and my move to Portland is that a mini "spa day" does wonders for the mind (and body).

In many (many) ways, much of what I have been doing recently can be placed under the "Self-care" column. I mean, that's about all I've been focused on these past few weeks - myself. No job. No roommate. No cleaning (obviously). No pets (well, J.B. is here with me and getting very, um, "Rubenesque" - I think he's gonna be the size of a catfish soon). But I have been working through this psychosis, taking my meds, finding safe places to heal. But I haven't been caring for my "self" - for the vessel in which my spirit resides.

Whoa... that sounds too New Agey for me.

But it's true. That word "holistic" means "Mind. Body. Spirit." And maybe that's one of the few New Agey things I can relate to.



And although much of what I've been doing falls in that self-care category, my mind is still broken, my spirit is down and my body - well, I haven't been taking much care of it at all (other than detoxing from the drugs & alcohol).

So today, I revisited that lesson on self-care that I learned not too long ago. It was far from a mini-spa day. No mani-pedi's or soaks in a hot tub. Definitely no massages. But I took a long, long shower. Trimmed and shaped my beard. And conditioned it. I gave myself a haircut. Plucked & tweezed (darn random middle-age hairs in hard-to-reach places!). Clipped my nails. Did laundry and wore something I liked...and which liked me, heh! I put new sheets on the bed and I napped. I watched a couple episodes of Grace & Frankie (I've finished the season...looking forward to the next!). I cooked three meals for myself. Pancakes, sausage & eggs for breakfast. Reheated homemade soup for lunch. And pasta with pesto for dinner. Oh, and I baked bread.

I still took my meds. Went to a meeting. Called a friend. But it was those other things - the true self-care - that made the difference in my day. And, in the end, whether it was true to the outside world or not, I looked and felt good... mind, body & spirit. The last of which I did nothing - and everything - for.

Be well, my friends.

I feel I'm getting there.

-j

No comments:

Post a Comment