Sunday, December 27, 2015

One Small Step...


Today I took my next steps toward healing and health. And those steps required stepping...out into the world. Something I haven't done much of (if at all) since the break last month.

While discussing my psychosis with the psychiatrist, he stated the following:

Diagnosis: Inconclusive
Prognosis: Good

The diagnosis is understandable, especially in a mental health context. Although the evaluation was more than two hours long, it far from communicated all symptoms and experiences over these past two years and we barely touched on the lifetime of potential causations and actions that may hold relevance. However, more than inconclusive, he stated the following:

A) a late-life psychotic break such as mine is rarely attributed to recent manifestation of bipolar or schizophrenic disorders, both of which generally become apparent prior to ones' thirties.


B) based on my dive (swim? immersion? embrace?) into drugs - especially methamphetamine - last year, the auditory & visual hallucinations may be a lingering effect from using. An effect that can take up to three friggin' years!  to resolve.


Three years?!?! What the what?

Anyway, that's where the Abilify (my anti-psychotic) came into play. Doc gave the option of staying unmedicated or taking a small dose of one of the less powerful AP meds for a few months to act as a bridge while my mind re-wires itself and returns to normal...or a "new normal" (which means I may never re-wire perfectly... quite possible and very likely).

Hence the "Good" prognosis.

And the meds seem to be working...a bit. Especially since we upped the dose - and I ended my brief little attempt at numbing with drugs. As I said, they don't make the crazy go away...but make it much more bearable & acceptable in my head.



So, what does a guy with all of the above do? He takes baby steps.

All three were about support. The first, support of my peers. Other tweakers. Not twerkers (never could twerk...don't wanna learn...tweaking was plenty embarrassing for me, heh!). Crystal Meth Anonymous (CMA) is a 12-step program specifically for recovering meth heads. Like me. And for one hour today, I listened to my tribe talk about their experiences in a way that mirrored my life.

They talked about being robbed for their electronics. Or their drugs. About hanging out with people they didn't like just so they'd have someone to do drugs with. Or get drugs from. There was talk of the "tweak" - the diligent, focused attention on a project or thing or idea that comes during meth use. Someone shared a story about waking up in the doorway of a business after a four day binge he doesn't remember. Oh, and that waking up happened yesterday. Another guy's story was about when he wanted to jump (from 17 floors up). And they shared the one thing that kept them from hitting a literal rock bottom...and, trust me, it's only ever one thing at that point. The point of wanting to jump. And thank you universe for always allowing me to realize that one thing before I even got close to thinking about jumping.

I never jumped because my one thing was you. Or, more specifically, your love. A guy like me - who has more love in his life than any one man deserves - can, with a little luck, find that one thing by looking in almost any direction other than down.

CMA will be a thing for me now. And I'll start working the steps. And I'll stay true to the program. And you'll always find me in the rooms. 'Cuz it works if you work it.

After the meeting, I met up with my friend Gay for a belated Christmas lunch. She gave me a loaf of sweet poppyseed bread. I gave her nothing since I'm kinda broke. But we had a wonderful chat. You see, Gay and I have known each other for twenty-four years. We've been through a lot together - which is
Gay, kicking back at my 40th birthday shenanigans
an understatement. And that day six weeks ago, when I saw people in camouflage hiding in the trees spying on me...well, I called Gay. And she showed up almost immediately. About as quickly as the police did (I called them right afterward). Today was the first day she'd seen me since then. She let out a sigh of relief as she talked about how I looked so much better. How scared she was. How it looked like I was returning to...me, I guess. Then we talked about politics. And books. Oh, how we both love books - she's an English teacher. I'm a...writer? Who knows what I am. Except crazy ;)

I came home after lunch. Lounged. Napped. Watched another episode of Grace & Frankie (an awesome show everyone except me has seen - even Gay has seen it and I didn't even know she owned a television!!!). Then I ventured out into the slush for the last of my three small steps today.

My day ended with another 12-step meeting...Alcoholics Anonymous this time. Twelve-stepping started with alcohol. We have these spinoffs now...like CMA, or Narcotics Anonymous, and Overeaters Anonymous. So even when alcohol isn't the drug of choice, AA meetings are still there (and more plentiful) to help with ones recovery. Plus I always liked a drink or twelve. Not as much as meth though.


AA meetings aren't really my thing as I don't connect with the stories or the people as much. But they offer that one thing I needed. Fellowship. That sense of belonging. Of being in the right place. Of listening. Being heard. And, most importantly, of being present. So I was. Present. And I listened. And spoke a little. And, in the end, it was good. Because I came home, wrote this blog, took my pills, watched an episode of Grace & Frankie, then went to sleep. Oh, after eating a slice of sweet poppyseed bread.

And those are all healthy things. With no hallucinations. And no illegal drugs. And as alone as I am in my bed tonight, I don't feel lonely.
 

 

Of course, I never did - because of you, dear reader.
 


And here's today's selfie...with smile, as promised ;)

Maybe tomorrow I'll clean the house. 'Cuz my new normal does not include a sink full of dishes!

Be well, my friends....

j-

3 comments:

  1. Michelle Grassel HerrstDecember 28, 2015 at 4:38 AM

    Jim, thank you for sharing your journey. You continue to be in my thoughts and I pray for your continued baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, thanks for sharing. Those that love you we will be here for and with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we are feeling the strongest and in a secure space our brain begins to beg us to acknowledge what we have put off, stuffed, denied, ignored, kept secret. Our mind says, "you are in a good place so let's handle the issues now." So stay strong, brave, vulnerable, and open to listening and learning and admiting you are worthy of the love and life you are blessed with. Keep working it cause it works.

    ReplyDelete