Sunday, August 25, 2013

Here We Go... Again!

And so it begins.

Y'all knew this was coming. I knew this was coming. But even after completing my ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles just a couple months ago, I can't believe I'm planning on doing it again.

You followed my journey for an entire year and watched me cross the finish line after 545 miles. You offered words of support for my ride, gave me a hug at the start, or bought a jersey for me to wear. You read my story in Instinct Magazine. You dealt with my constant fundraising requests on Facebook or in your inbox. You donated to the cause and we raised over $14,000 to help support HIV/AIDS programs at the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the LA Gay & Lesbian Center. I did it. And I did it with your help. So why am I riding again?

You know, after blogging for an entire year about the reasons I ride you would think that I would have run out of things to write about. That all the reasons would have been exhausted. But nothing could be further from the truth. You see, with over 22 years of HIV work & activism under my belt, I have more reasons than I care to count. And, since our work isn't done, more reasons present themselves more often than I like. In fact, one of those presented itself just a couple weeks ago when another friend passed away.

But I don't want to kick off this year in a melancholy way. I want to start off with one of the more cheerful reason I'll be riding again... one of the 2,800 reasons that bring a smile to my face when I think of one of them. Like Kerry, my cyclist rep last year - and again this year. I'll forever feel blessed that I had that moment with her and Mel at the starting line a few months ago. Then there's my friend Brendan who I hardly saw this year since he was a Roadie - but next year he's going to ride which means I'll see him on the road a lot more. There's Marni who was in the caboose and who (in some ways, thankfully) I didn't see too much of in June. I hear Team Swiss will be riding again - and who can pass up a chance to ride with them?!?! Andy who carried a sweater for me one day. And Suzi who was the Peep Sweep. Ahhh, then there's my Shelley who I was lucky enough to see a few times during the week - but not nearly enough. And one of the many superheroes I came to know... Tara, another Vegas peep. Jim - former staffer and now a rider in 2014. Hell, ALL the amazing staff... like Eric & Cailin & Megan and of course Greg. New riders and old friends like Justin. Old friends and past Roadies like my tentmate Eric. Maybe I'll see Keith & Jorge again. Or Kirstie. Jillian & Steve? I hope so. But, most of all, I hope to see my team from last year.

Dan & Molly & Erik & Jonathan & Harold. Jose & Paul &  Duke & Derek & Randy. I know Jeremy's not going to be able to ride this year but maybe Jamaal's leg will be healed enough to ride. Or Martijn or Dominic will be able to join us this year. Even with a week on the road - and nearly a year of training - I didn't get to spend anywhere near enough time with these amazing folks. Maybe this year I'll get moving a little faster in the morning and be able to ride out with Erik one day. Or maybe Molly will choose to Roadie instead of ride and I'll get to see her at one of the rest stops every day. If luck's on my side, Dan and I will be able to share a few more meals together. Or Randy and I will get to ride side-by-side just a little longer.

So many more... all the Pos Peds. Tim & Stefan & Bear & Bob & Deyon. My friends from Team San Diego. And Team Long Beach. And Team Portland - including the new recruit, my friend Rayme. There's Deborah - the woman who I only shared a moment with one

afternoon while in line for the Port-a-potties but whose hug was one of the many memories I'll hold with me forever. And anyone & everyone who had to hear my belt out the Brady Bunch's "It's A Sunshine Day" over & over again up that damn hill on that chilly, gray morning. There's not enough space here to mention all of you I think of fondly and hope to get to know better in the coming year.

But I know one of them will be Jordan who's heading out to Vegas in November to ride with me in the local Bike MS event. My first big "official" ride of the season. One hundred miles on Saturday then another fifty on Sunday (remember the "recovery rides," heh!). There will be friends at the NorCal & SoCal Expo's & Kick-off events. Might even be fortunate enough to ride some training rides in both cities too. Tour de Palm Springs is on my calendar again. And of course Day On The Ride. And this year we'll be inviting riders out to the desert again for another amazing ALC Wild West Weekend in the spring!

And friends, just because I didn't mention you here don't think I've forgotten you. Far too little space to remember all 2,800 of you in this blog - but you've all got plenty of space right here in my heart.

So, yeah, I'm doing it again. All the cold nights. The foggy days. The lines for bike maintenance. The rush to shower, eat & set up camp after riding 109 miles in a day. The lines for port-a-potties (and the single-ply toilet paper). Waking at 4:30 a.m. and hearing people in tents all around me snoring like freight trains. But also coming around a curve and seeing the ocean right in front of me. The little chats at the rest stops, or dinner, or while waiting in line to use that single-ply paper. People I barely know stopping to help me with a flat tire. Or stopping to take a pic of me at one of the many scenic areas we pedal through. Climbing the Quadbuster again but this time doing it just a little faster - and sweating just a little less. And, of course, you. Those of you who stood by me those eleven months and cheered me on. Donated to the cause. Offered a word of support when I was feeling worn out. Gave me a jersey as a gift. All those Mavericks in Texas! Those of you who allowed me to take you along for the ride. You know, even after completing the ride, it's hard to

comprehend I did it... or that I can do it again. Can't explain that one. From what I hear, it never really goes away - that disbelief that you can actually ride 545 miles. But like they told me last year, I can do it... and today's the day I officially kick it all off - went on my first training ride this morning - 27 miles - not much but, eh, it's a start. And in kicking off this year's training I want to do it in anticipation of seeing all these amazing folks I've come to know in the ALC Love Bubble. And in anticipation of all the new folks I'll be meeting for the first time. I want to spend the next year hearing the stories of why they ride. Or getting to know each of them just a little better.





But maybe most of all, I want to finally wear the amazing superhero cape, handmade by Kerry & her little helpers, that I earned last year but didn't have a chance to wear ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment