Friday, April 5, 2013

Shifting Gears


When I set out on this journey, I knew very little about cycling aside from an occasional ride to and from work when I lived in San Francisco and Chicago. Or maybe hopping on the bike on a sunny Saturday afternoon but never completing more than a few miles. Just last year, if I'd pass someone cycling to work I'd be awestruck as I watched how much dedication & determination it must take to do something like that every day. As for road cyclists, awestruck wasn't even on my mind... they were so beyond anything I could comprehend that I didn't think much about them at all if I saw them in the bike lane next to my car.


I did say I knew very little, right? I mean, I've had a few friends who were cyclists so I've heard a handful of keywords through the years. Things like saddle & chamois & drafting & cadence. For some reason, the one I always remembered the most was cadence - the number of revolutions of the crank per minute... y'know, the rate at which you pedal. Being a math-minded person, I realized during one of these conversations that shifting gears was an integral part to keeping a steady cadence. When faced with a challenge (climbing hills or facing headwinds), you shift to a lower gear so you pedal at the same rpm even if you're going slower. Just as you shift to a higher gear going downhill to keep your cadence even if you're going faster.

Early on, I began practicing my cadence. Not having a bike computer, it's really hit or miss for me but I do try to focus on shifting gears so my pedal stroke stays somewhat consistent. The more I bike, the more I've learned how shifting really is the key to riding these long distances we're training for. Too low a gear on a flat path and you're pedaling your butt off but getting no speed. Too high a gear on a climb and you're overexerting your leg muscles and wearing yourself out far too soon.

But the one thing it took me awhile to learn was how shifting gears metaphorically is also an integral part to preparing for an endurance event like AIDS/LifeCycle.




Few of us newbies really have any idea what we're getting ourselves into. No amount of reading, Googling or listening can really prepare us for a cycling event like this. Or for the experience of AIDS/LifeCycle. I've tried to share some of that experience with you through this blog, or sharing videos and photos from past years on ALC, but... no... there's literally no way to really express this experience.... it's all about doing it. And doing it means shifting gears in your training. In your fundraising. In your day-to-day life to accommodate all the time needed to prepare. In your budget as you purchase things like chamois butt'r which you'd never heard of before. And in your goals.

For me those shifts have included raising my fundraising goal because you all helped me hit the first goal so quickly. Or revising my training schedules due to unexpected health or life events. Some of my shifting has been learning that I need to buy this before I buy that. Or that Gatorade isn't my electrolyte drink of choice. I've tested out methods and equipment and GPS apps and cycling paths only to switch gears 'til I found what works best for me. With only eight weeks left until the big event, I'm sure I'll be shifting gears a few more times too.

I know I will. Because, all this talk about shifting is leading up to something (okay, you know me and you know reticence isn't my thing... this really is all very contextual but has nothing to do with cadence or pedaling, heh!).


Over the past few months, I've come to know one of the most important aspects of the AIDS/LifeCycle experience. Community. The sense of support, strength, commitment to others, belief in teamwork, focus on a common goal. There's a name for it... it's called the "Love Bubble." But you'll never fully understand it until you've felt it. I've benefited from that goodness in so many ways. Whether it was tips on cycling, recommendations on gear, creative ideas for fundraising, or even learning I was wearing my leg warmers backwards, I've become a better cyclist because the ALC community cares enough to make sure no rider is left behind. Or left in uncomfortable backward leg warmers. I've even had a few fellow participants donate to my ALC fund. Which is crazy because they could just put the money toward their own goals, right? But that's not the point. The point is, we're all in this together.

And I want us to continue to all be in this together. Every single amazing, giving, beautiful soul I've met during this crazy adventure. Each cyclist that's said, "Good morning," as she passed me on a hill. Or the guy on sweep that waits patiently with Clif bars and gel shots until the last rider passes after a tough climb. For every participant that's putting in their everything to training, and fundraising, and saving lives while still trying to juggle the demands of their job, and their kids and the needs of their partners and the struggle to find balance between work and life and chores and bills and dogs and family and car troubles and house guests.

From June 2nd through June 8th, I don't want to leave a single one of these folks behind. So I'm shifting gears.

$22,000. Y'know, we could probably get there. Heck, we've done the unimaginable already and passed the halfway mark. So many of you to thank for that. We're working together to save so many lives. Prevent so many HIV infections. Provide support to the daughter whose father has AIDS. Or the mother who has to bury her son.We are making a difference.

And the 2,500 riders... 800 roadies... and handful of staff who combine forces to become AIDS/LifeCycle, all need to be present in June. For those of us riding, that means raising a minimum of $3,000 in order to participate in the event. Some haven't been as fortunate as me. Maybe they work three jobs. Have two kids at home. Their community doesn't have resources like mine. They're in college without a full-time job. Or succeeding in their recovery from drugs & alcohol. Sometimes things need to take priority over training & fundraising. (Hell, I've let vacuuming slide to allow room for training & fundraising!). But whatever their priorities, these things don't make them any less willing... no... any less wanting to make a difference in the lives of those affected  by HIV & AIDS.

So, $22,000... yeah, we might still get there. But that's not my focus anymore. Nope. Even with all that comes with it. The recognition. The gratitude. The Top 100 List. Or that awesome Top 50 Superstar Cycling Jersey. Nope. Have that. Keep it. Give it to someone else. I'm shifting gears. For me, it's not even icing on the cake. I want my icing to be simple. I want every single person who's committed to participating in this event to pass me at least once during those seven days and say, "Hello." I want them all to reach their $3,000 minimum.... and ride with me.

With eight weeks left until I board a plane for San Francisco to participate in the event, I will no longer ask for direct donations. I'll still have a few fundraisers but only because they're already in the works. Things like the raffle for the Cannondale Road Bike. You'll still be able to receive one entry for every $10 contributed to my ride (and, yes, it's a schweeeeet bike!). Or the garage sale I have planned for later this month... I'm still taking donations for that so clean out your closets and garages! I've got my candy bucket at work which is helping to raise funds and there are a couple other big fundraisers I'm participating in. But please, if you don't want a raffle ticket for a bike or a gently used entertainment center from a garage sale, or even a peppermint patty from the candy bucket... then support me by supporting my friends.

First, let me start with my team... the ALCers I know the best and am the most proud of...

If you visit our team list, you'll see close to twenty of us but, unfortunately, a few have been sidelined due to life changes.... new jobs, family illness, and even personal injury. There are still many who are as committed as I am but need just a little more help to reach that minimum to ride. The first is...






Jeremy: This guy started it all. The founder of Manning Up. Created our team. He's the man behind the $50,000 we've raised together. He's focused his efforts on marketing & jerseys & partnerships & logistics to the point that he's found little time to raise funds. But he's dedicated. And worthy. So think about donating to him here:
Jeremy Manning's ALC Page











Jose: You want to know his story, ask him. It'll blow you away. And to see the man he's become through the challenges he's faced is inspirational. And to keep up with him on a ride to and from Santa Monica is a bitch! This guy's gotta be on the ride... gotta be in front of me to push me harder, faster, further than I'd push myself. His donation page is here:
Jose Garcia's ALC Page








Geovanny: The one teammate I have yet to meet but have heard so much about. He's an entrepreneur, small business owner, a mover and a shaker. Strong, talented, smart and determined. I've gotta meet him even if I have to wait 'til June 2 to do it... I need the motivation and energy he provides (plus I'm wearing his underwear right now!):
Geovanny Landaverde's ALC Page







Randy: You think I've got dedication? Randy beats me by a mile. He's been at every ALC or team event I've attended. Flown to San Francisco for the NorCal Expo and Midnight Sun Fundraiser. Joined us in Long Beach for a training ride with Team Long Beach. And brings his partner Rick along who's become our unofficial Manning Up photographer! Can't imagine the ride without Randy so consider helping him reach $3K:
Randy Miyashiro's ALC Page





Jonathan: There's something about Jonathan. Commitment is an understatement. This guy was the magic behind the madness of Legendary Bingo that helped our team raise over $1,500 in one night. He pushes me when we ride together. He's amazing company on long boring routes. And I swear, if he lived in Vegas... or I lived in LA... I'd be sharing one of those cheesy BFF heart shaped locket thingies with him. I can't ride without him so help make sure I don't:
Jonathan Piccirillo's ALC Page







Dan: The funny guy (no, seriously, he's a real, live comedian). I had the pleasure of meeting him at the SoCal ALC Expo... and have chatted with him on the phone in our long-distance Captain/Teammate kind of way. More than anyone on our team, Dan wants to ride. And I want to ride by his side since I haven't yet had the opportunity. Make it happen here:
Dan Wentzel's ALC Page





Those are my teammates who haven't yet reached their minimum and my days on the ride will be a little cloudy if I can't share a meal, tell a tale, or listen to their stories. But 
over the course of my training, I've met many others who inspire, motivate & support me... and the adventure just wouldn't be the same if I didn't have a few memories made with them...




Alvin: When I visited SF for the NorCal Expo, I participated in an ALC training ride from The Presidio to Fairfax... and back. About a quarter way in, Alvin pulled up beside me at one of the many, many (MANY!) stop signs Marin County offers. He stuck by my side to Fairfax and all the way back to San Francisco. Wonderful company and, as a seventh year rider, he brings the experience I need on the ride:
Alvin Paez's ALC Page









Deyon: This beautiful woman was a Training Ride Leader on that Fairfax ride. And you know what she did when we got to the top of a hill and I said I had to pee? She rode with me back down to the base of that hill and waited for me while I asked the guys at the Fire Station if I could use their restroom. Then she climbed that hill with me again. She helped keep me from getting lost between Fairfax & San Francisco and provided incredibly helpful tips on the ride and cycling in general. Wanna make sure I can thank her in June...
Deyon Jonson's ALC Page




Susan: Okay, so Roadie's don't have a minimum but the funds raised still go to help those we're supporting. Susan's a fourth year participant who loves her tutus! I met this burst of energy on the recovery ride the day after the Tour de Palm Springs. She provided pointers, tips and even a binder clip to hold my route map (I still owe you a binder clip, beautiful!). I want to see her again on the ride... if only to try on her tutu (y'know I haven't chosen my Red Dress Day outfit yet!):
Susan Fish's ALC Page



Tim: A first year rider like me, I was lucky to meet him at the SoCal ALC Expo. He's got an energy that just revs your engines (or turns your pedals in our situation!). He's close to his minimum and I'm sure he'll pass me in Santa Cruz... and the Valley... and everywhere in between. But he's still just a little shy of that Magic 3 Mark so throw in a few bucks so he can help me change my next flat tire....
Tim Breck's ALC Page











Aaron: Finally, I met another local ALC participant! I've got someone who's experienced the event time & time again to help guide me through all the little nuances (okay, pains) required in preparing and finishing a 545 mile bike ride! He's one cool cat who's going to be a huge support during the next two months. Which is why he's gotta be alongside me in June...
Aaron Otte's ALC Page











Van: Another local! Woohooo! Wild West Weekend helped introduce me to another ALC participant who's newer to cycling but not to endurance events. Van's a marathoner and there's plenty to learn from a guy who can run 26.2 miles. But he's taken up cycling on the side. And he's just as strong in the saddle as he is pounding the pavement. You'll see plenty of him during my training rides in the coming weeks just like I'll hope you'll see plenty of him on the ride:
Van Vaughn's ALC Page







Tammy: It might be hard to get this one to smile but when she does it's infectious! If I remember correctly, she's a veteran ALC rider and doing it again because she believes in this cause more than anyone. During Wild West Weekend, we had the chance to ride, eat and tip a glass together so I'm hoping to spend a little more time with her during the ride because I, of anyone, know how still waters run deep and this one's got a lot to offer:
Tammy Daugherty's ALC Page










Joselyn: A virgin like me. Well, an ALC virgin. Jos and I met during Wild West Weekend and can I say... I LOVE HER! No disrespect to your husband Joselyn. This girl's a strong rider and completed her first century a full month before I'll complete my own (you do know you're a decade younger than me, right???). She's leaving her son and husband at home for a week to join us on the ride... and her smile needs to light up our ride on those cloudy days and dark nights...
Joselyn Samaniego's ALC Page










Ricky: Saving the best for last. Ricky came out with his crew from San Diego to get away from the beach and ride through the desert for Wild West Weekend. And broke the seal at Karaoke in the Saloon! This will be his second year with ALC. Last year he rode in memory of his friend Ricardo. This year, he's riding for so many reasons after discovering what AIDS/LifeCycle is all about. While in Vegas, he was the first to finish our sixty mile ride and I want to follow his pace during our long ride in June... let's make sure he's riding next to me and the rest of the Hooligans this summer!
Ricardo Vasquez Guy's ALC Page


I know you still want to support me on this journey. And I'm serious when I say the best way to support me is to make sure these folks are there with me on the ride. These beautiful souls and all others who have committed to riding along the coast of California to help support this cause. You don't like these peeps? Well, first I'd call ya crazy then I'd say please go find another rider who hasn't yet met their minimum but is committed to the cause. Yes, if you want an entry into the bike raffle or think buying a pair of my old jeans at the garage sale is what suits you best, please support me that way. But if you were thinking about donating to the cause through me... if you just wanted to show me you care, and didn't want anything in return except to make sure I had a successful ride.... then please work to make sure these folks and all others are with me on the road. In camp. At breakfast. Watching the sunrise. Eating Clif bars. Listening to me snore. Refilling water bottles. Chatting after lights out. Hugging me when I cry. Lighting a candle when I'm remembering. Pushing me up a hill. Raising their arms in triumph as I cross that finish line on June 8.

$22,000? Yes, I still want to raise it. But not under my name. I want it for the reason I've always wanted it... to help those who benefit from the money raised. That might sound somewhat altruistic. But not really. Because deep down, like all of us, I'm a little selfish. In the end I want all of those listed above... and all of those who've promised to ride... to be there by my side. Sure, I'd somehow be able to complete this journey if they weren't there. But without them... just like without you... it wouldn't be AIDS/LifeCycle. It would just be another bike ride.

J-


No comments:

Post a Comment