Friday, March 1, 2013

Passing The Torch


During my recent trip to the California desert for the Tour de Palm Springs, I stopped at the AIDS/LifeCycle booth the moment I entered town. There, I caught up with Jim Rudoff, the Recruitment Manager at the SoCal ALC offices, and also met another ALC staffer, Mary Zeiser, ALC Recruitment Coordinator. Gotta say, this girl immediately struck me as one fiery little sweetheart. Forever charming. Somewhat mischievous. Lively & energetic. Intelligent & thoughtful. Cute as a kitten. Sleek as a cheetah. Just as polite as she is straight forward and honest. To put it simply.... I really liked her style.

Later that evening, a bunch of us met up for a little ALC mixer and while I was talking with Jim R. he said, "Do you realize Mary was born around the same time you got HIV?"

Um. No. Honestly hadn't thought about it.

But, now that you mention it...

Whoa.

Here was this grown woman I had quickly come to respect & admire and she was being potty trained when I received my HIV diagnosis. I was learning about sex when she was learning to walk. My nephew could have gone to high school with her. Our age difference means I could be the same age as her fath.....

Um, let's not go there. But that kind of puts things into perspective, eh?


Over the course of the weekend, I had a few more chats with Mary and she just... well, this girl amazed me. There was something about her. Something that drew me to her.  I was enthralled. Captivated. Almost... awestruck. When I returned home, I had to know more about her. But I also wanted to share it with my readers. You see, she and I chatted a bit about my work in HIV and how, in a way, she's now carrying the torch I once held. A young, intelligent, caring person working for a cause, sacrificing for the community, intent on making change happen in the world. When I asked if she'd allow me to ask her a few questions for my blog, she stepped right up

So, my friends, I'd like to give you the pleasure I had of being introduced to the SoCal Recruitment Coordinator for AIDS/LifeCycle, Mary Zeiser...

_______________________________________________________


Shortly after you were born, I was an HIV educator in the public school system.
What was your experience with today’s HIV/AIDS education in the schools?
I was born and raised in Los Angeles in the spring of 1989. Attending public school through the Los Angeles Unified School District was interesting. Not once do I recall AIDS/HIV being mentioned in a classroom or assembly.

I was misinformed about the disease through the Presbyterian Church my family attended. The Pastor preached his sermon about AIDS and Leprosy – telling tales of how people were cast away once they were infected. I was instilled with a fear of contracting the Human Immunodeficiency Virus if I came into contact with anyone who had it. It took a tremendous amount of effort for me to overcome the stigma I had against people living with HIV/AIDS.

Prior to joining the staff at
AIDS/LifeCycle had your life been personally touched by HIV?
Before I joined the amazing staff at AIDS/LifeCycle, I had not noticed how much my life was touched by HIV, and perhaps I never will fully understand in every possible aspect how personally touched I am by this Pandemic. All I know is that many people in my life came out to me as HIV+ once I became a part of the AIDS/LifeCycle community, some have passed away, and some have become newly infected – including my very own sister.


Were you a cyclist before ALC? Have you participated in the event yet?
No sir, I was not a cyclist by any means before participating in ALC. To be frank, I was a misinformed, scrawny and fair skinned seventeen year old. I registered to conquer my prejudice and started to tell people about my goal. Before I knew it, I had raised $5,025.50! A customer from the coffee shop I worked in donated her road bike to me. I gained the support of my friends, family, and coworkers who, in turn, broke down their walls of stigma and learned the same lessons I was seeking.

I became a cyclist on the ride in every way, shape, and form. That’s right; I learned how to wear a helmet, I learned how to shift gears, I learned how to clip in to my pedals, and I learned safe road etiquette all while on the ride, from the very participants I was riding with. I started the ride as a stranger to all and by the time I crossed that finish line I had 3,000 good friends, and a new outlook on life.






How did you become a staffer with AIDS/LifeCycle?
Long story short: I was referred to the SoCal office by my best friend/tent mate/now NorCal AIDS/LifeCycle Cyclist Representative. The Manager of the SoCal Recruitment Team emailed me, asking me to submit my resume. The interview went well and we’ve been working together happily ever after since!







What’s a Day-in-the-Life for a
RecruitmentCoordinator at ALC?
A day in the life of an AIDS/LifeCycle Recruitment Coordinator is spiritually rewarding. I wake up after dreaming of recruitment strategies – eager to get to my desk and begin work each morning. I enter the gates of the LA Gay and Lesbian Center’s Village at Ed Gould Plaza, and head upstairs to Suite 202 - the SoCal ALC Office. Along the way to my desk, I am greeted by my amazing colleagues, who feel more like family each day. Our team works tirelessly to recruit people for the ride at sporting events, venues, and alike. I am honored to be a part of this team.







Aside from your job, what does
AIDS/LifeCycle mean to you?
A lot! I believe that words cannot express the amount of joy I get out of this, so I shall articulate it through the art of dance.

If you had a message for potential sponsors or participants, what would it be?
Whatever your goals or strengths, we have a place for you on AIDS/LifeCycle, the highest grossing fundraiser for AIDS programs & services in the U.S.

And, the final question on everyone’s mind… if there was a Zombie Apocalypse tomorrow, what three things would you want at your disposal to help save the world?
Mean people.
Good intentions.
And belief in myself.

_______________________________________________________


Friends, I've got a few years working toward the goal of an end to HIV/AIDS in the world and I can honestly say, if I was going to pass the torch to anyone, it would be to Mary. She and her colleagues at AIDS/LifeCycle are the unsung heroes behind this event. As she mentioned, this is the highest grossing HIV/AIDS fundraiser in the country... and it's manned by just a handful of truly dedicated, caring, insightful, beautiful people.

Mary, when I ride in June, I ride for your sister. I ride for the friends you've lost. And your friends who are surviving. I ride for the faith & inspiration & motivation & belief you give us all. I ride for the work you do. The hours you spend. The commitment you've shown. The strength you exude.

When I ride, I ride for you.

J-

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this inspiring feature on Mary Zeiser...my niece. She has always been just as you describe her. She is herself through and through, and is right upfront about it. She has found the right outlet for her enthusiasm, energy, and drive. ALC and Mary Zeiser are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an accurate description.Thank you for noticing my Mary.She's a powerhouse to be sure.So passionate about the causes she believes in,those she cares about, almost to her detriment, the world is a better place with her in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mary! I'm so proud of you! I'm proud you're in our family!

    ReplyDelete